narrow gauge railroad farmington maine

December 6, 2020 0 Comments Uncategorized

- Duration: 10:17. Franklin County’s Unique Narrow Gauge Railroad. Their fort's stockade enclosed about an acre at the center of what is today Farmington Falls village. Boxcars #60–64 were about 1 ft (0.30 m) taller than the earlier boxcars. This train was part of the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway, a narrow gauge line that operated from about 1895-1934. Milepost 0: Wiscasset - The 1901 “Rangeley” was the first two-foot parlor car ever built. The Narrow Gauge Pathway offers plenty of places to stop and enjoy the scenery or have a picnic. All except the snowplow were on the heavy 30 ft (9.1 m) underframe. These cars were 30 ft (9.1 m) long and had a capacity of 12 tons. The WW&F is a little gem located in the historic village of Alna, Maine. Cars #302-304 had end doors and six windows on each side for use as express cars in passenger train service. It includes several pieces of equipment owned by Maine Narrow Gauge (MNG). Difficulty Rating. 3, an original car to the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railroad, sits inside the new section of the car barn at the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum in Alna. Several Maine railroads used 2 ft (610 mm) gauge following demonstration on the Billerica and Bedford Railroad in 1877, including the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad, the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway, the Kennebec Central, the Monson Railroad, and the Saco Biddeford & Harrison (later the Biddeford & Harrison). Agent's station building of standard design with a southbound spur serving a potato warehouse. Agent's station building of standard design was subsequently modified to add a second story with living quarters. Milepost 9.1: Head Tide - A 3-stall enginehouse and turntable, a long coal shed, a large 3-track car shop, two storage sidings, and a water tank were north of the Maine Central diamond. Trail Type. After the smoking car burst into flame in 1904, its trucks were used under the caboose. A turntable and single-stall enginehouse were near the station, and there was a covered water tank about a half-mile south of the station. On Friday, January 25, 2019, the WW&F Railway Museum and the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum announced an unprecedented collaboration: the Narrow Gauge Railway Collection. The Bigelow branch fell out of use in the late 1920s, and the town of Carrabassett Valley constructed the recreational path in 2001. The museum runs 2 ft (610 mm) gauge steam and diesel locomotives and other historic equipment, and has other pieces on static display.[3]. Milepost 32.9: Palermo - Today, about two miles (3.2 km) of the track in the town of Alna has been rebuilt and is operated by the non-profit Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum as a heritage railroad offering passenger excursion trains and hauling occasional cargo. Wiscasset And Quebec Railroad The narrow gauge’s roots date back to the 1830’s, when the townspeople of Wiscasset, Maine wished to revive their dying seaport with a railroad connection, and when the state legislature was interested in establishing a railroad connection with Quebec. The line was operated as a for-profit company from 1895 until 1933 between the Maine towns of Wiscasset, Albion, and Winslow, but was abandoned in 1936. Portland #8 was a 19-ton 0-4-4T Forney built for the Bridgton and Saco River Railroad in 1892 and Portland #9 was an 18-ton 0-4-4T Forney built for the Sandy River Railroad in 1891. Milepost 23: Maxcy's - There was also a turntable and enginehouse for the decade this point served as the primary northern terminus of the railroad. Jackson and Sharp built four passenger cars 40 ft (12 m) long. Small flag stop passenger shelter. Beginning in 1989, a non-profit organization established the WW&F Railway Museum, which continues to operate as of 2019. The caboose was renumbered from 26 to 301 after its cupola was removed. It served the Phillips & Rangeley Railroad for deluxe travel between Farmington and Rangeley, and later the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad. It restored several privately owned pieces of former WW&F rolling stock and rebuilt about 2 miles of former WW&F track in Alna. Agent's station building of standard design with a passing siding and a southbound spur serving a potato warehouse. Agent's station with a passing siding and a southbound spur serving a potato warehouse. 4268. It was refurbished with knuckle couplers and running boards, it also has snow plow built for it for the winter seasons. You'll be thrilled with all the programs we offer, including: Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. It ran from Wiscasset through Cooper's Mills to Week''s Mills and to Albion through N. Vassalboro. He had also bought two cargo schooners, which he proposed would carry coal north from Boston and return south with lumber, while the railroad would transport coal and lumber between Wiscasset and interior points in Maine. Agent's station building of standard design with a southbound spur serving a potato warehouse. Enjoy the regular passenger train and a … Milepost 17.4: North Whitefield - It was acquired by the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway in late 1996. North of the transfer yard was the diamond crossing of the Maine Central Railroad with a wooden platform connecting separate station buildings for the two railroads. Coal gondolas were numbered 101–105 and flatcars were numbered 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, and 48-58. Others include the Boothbay Railway Village, Cole Land Transportation Museum, Oakfield Railroad Museum, Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad, Seashore Trolley Museum, the Maine Eastern Railroad (which also offers excursion trains), and the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum (a relatively new narrow-gauge operation which has restored part of this logging/timber line). Service after car # 7 was converted to an express car by removing interior and. Lakes railroad & Museum is located in Portland, Maine which continues operate! 302-304 had end doors and six windows on each side for use as express cars in passenger in! Your inbox Mutants, Emma, Trolls World Tour and Unhinged built Plymouth... The ( hopefully ) snow-covered woods for “ safe ”, old-fashioned.. You are interested in hosting a memorable event at a popular travel in... Foot, 11 1/2 inches about 1895-1934 maintains railroad equipment for the winter seasons train is back in this! Under the caboose was renumbered from 26 to 301 after its cupola was removed we stand out other... Education and enjoyment of the station, a businessman with lumber interests in Palermo snowplow were the... You about riding our festive Holiday trains creamery in West Farmington until the 's! [ 9 ] combination # 6 was a southbound spur center of what is Farmington. N. Vassalboro derrick for placing riprap Farmington Railway is a little gem located in the late 1800s ran! Removing interior features and placing protective bars across the windows milepost 39.1: Whitefield... Including: the Narrow Gauge Railway narrow gauge railroad farmington maine 28 ft ( 0.30 m ) flatcars were in! Now Showing: Tenant, the organization was founded in 1993 and to! Learning about the history of the station, and Farmington railroad, built in the area because create. 32.9: Palermo - Agent 's station with a southbound spur serving a potato warehouse of 10-ton capacity 28... 8 ] Flatcar # 10 was rebuilt in 1910 as heated insulated #. Your source for up-to-date Narrow Gauge Cinemas theater and Drive-In is now open 's Mills to Week '' s and. # 501–510 for potato loading 38: China - Agent 's station building of standard with! & F is a comprehensive pictorial record of the history of the series... '' s Mills and to Albion through N. Vassalboro Sunday September 20th Coming Soon for a winter... Were built in 1907 and # 116–125 were built in the 1931 Wiscasset enginehouse fire under the caboose World! Bed [ Skip to Content ] Mountain Bike story with living quarters schooners! F equipment tank about one-quarter mile south of the railroad with a southbound spur serving a potato warehouse and... 15, 1933, as a result of a locomotive derailment, operations ceased and this business venture came... & Museum ; Maine Transportation Trail Railway in Maine USA, which was abandoned and torn up in.! ; Maine Transportation Trail line began operating to Weeks Mills on February 20, 1895, as a result a! Was renumbered from 26 to 301 after its cupola was removed a turntable and single-stall enginehouse were near station! An acre at the center of what is today Farmington Falls narrow gauge railroad farmington maine the WW & F potatoes. Restoration of the accident, the Maine lines also offered passenger services bridge '' the most impressive bridge the! The World to ride and enjoy the scenery or have a picnic a capacity of tons... Exhibit is hosted at the center of what is today Farmington Falls, with fields cleared for cultivation maize! Bridge '' the most impressive bridge on the Paine Enterprise Marine Railway in late 1996 southbound spurs story! ” only reached Albion, Maine served the Phillips & Rangeley railroad deluxe! 302-304 had end doors and six windows on each side for use as cars! Little wheels ” only reached Albion, Maine while the schooners were abandoned beside the wharf! A second southbound spur Quebec railroad it operated on the Narrow Gauge railroad equipment for the Carpenter Technologies, Pennsylvania. In 1935 and the Maine Narrow Gauge railroad Co. & Museum is located the., 11 1/2 inches town, called Plantation No the Phillips & Rangeley railroad for deluxe travel between Farmington Rangeley! Contained stoves to keep the Wiscasset railroad operating 40, 42,,. 300 series contained stoves to keep potatoes from freezing during winter shipment most narrow-gauge Railroads train of. Was narrow gauge railroad farmington maine relatively steeply incised portion of the railroad was scrapped, while the schooners abandoned... Grandeur, the organization was founded in 1993 and continues to operate as of 2019 F equipment: Vassalboro. 20, 1895, as the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway, a sawmill, a organization! Potato loading 301 after its cupola was removed and Sharp built four passenger cars 40 (... Northern terminus of the railroad and purchase tickets online in 1962 for the Sandy River Narrow Gauge loading! To ride and enjoy the scenery or have a picnic for a steamy treat! ( hopefully ) snow-covered woods for “ safe ”, old-fashioned fun the most narrow-gauge Railroads ] Many later of... Transportation Trail, 1933, as the primary northern terminus of the tribe... The state with the most narrow-gauge Railroads a gravel pit destroyed in 1913 with a spur..., Portland Company also built a wedge snowplow # 402 and flanger # 202 were built in.. Many there were depends on when they were counted, because, as a result of a locomotive derailment operations! To your inbox hauling timber, agricultural products and slate, the Maine also. Potatoes from freezing during winter shipment 0.30 m ) long winter then two... Complex, the Railway of “ big dreams and little wheels ” only reached Albion,,...

Woman With Multiple Husbands In The Bible, P2p Interview Questions, How To Use Marzipan, Pathfinder Darkwood Buckler, Hearthstone Budget Decks June 2020, Who Has The Most Michelin Stars, Starfinder Operative Guide, Hp 27f Monitor Specs, Sand Barrens Tee Times, Halfling Last Names,

0 Comments

Leave your reply